Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

gzip tool unable to read file meta data, when gml is gzipped inside

steven4320555
8 - Asteroid

The anticipated gzip support was recently released in 2018.2, I finally got some time to get started with some of OS Mastermap data stored as gz with gml inside. 

Unfortunately, I got the following message when I tried to open the  gz file.

"error extracting file: unable to read file meta data"

I guess it might have something to do with the fact that gz read only support limited file format, although gml is supported if it is not gzipped. (as I shared in https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Support-for-GZIP-gz-compressed-files-in-inpu... )

Just want to bring this issue to the attention of the developers and the community, in case someone might have a similar problem, or may have time and may be able to provide some signpost.

One workaround I can think of is to unzip the gz file into temporary files (I have over a thousand, would not be a problem for batch macro), and then use the existing gml capactiy. But as a lazy user, who is a little scared and short of time to use the run command tool, as introduced here:  https://tarsolutions.co.uk/blog/unzip-a-file-in-alteryx/ . Just to check if supporting gml will be soon released in beta version, I am happy to help test it out.

Many thanks

Steven

11 REPLIES 11
ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@steven4320555 and @blyons,

Thank you very much for the specifics and info. The plan is as follows and will be done in the following order: 1. add .gml format to existing .zip and .tar.gz functionality. We're hoping to get this first part in very soon. 2. Add .gz support, which will support the same formats that already exist in .zip and .tar.gz archives currently (this will include gml since it will be part of step 1). Text files will also be included in this, you'll just need to tell us how to read the data in. We are also hoping to get this in fairly soon and will make it available for beta prior to release to ensure we're meeting the majority of needs.

Again, thanks for your patience and feedback.

Best,

Alex

lisander
5 - Atom

Hi there,

In my case I am outputting a blob field from a SQL DB, which is a .gz. In the file I have a .xml

Outputting as a file is easy, but as I am currently dealing with almost 2 million files and each an xml with almost 7000 headers, would be great to sample/filter fields before writing it into another DB.

But anyway, beiing able to extract .gz would be great for first :-)

Labels