Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

grouping multiple pdfs and emailing as attachment

kas
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

The data I start with gets grouped by the Agent field. The agent may have multiple policies and a pdf is created for each, then attached to a single email per agent. Each pdf is consistently the same with the exception of the policy information and are 3 pages long.

My issue is when I email multiple pdf attachments, the pages have the wrong break points. each attachment is 3 pages, but each new pdf will start in the blank space left on the last page of the previous pdf.

To clarify a bit; it's taking each pdf and combining them into 1 pdf rather than individual attachments - if I could get them to be individual attachments on the one email that would work.

Without my grouping and sending the email portion, the workflow properly creates a 3 page pdf for each policy.

I've attached a file with screen shots of the workflow portion in question and the configuration of the layout, render and email tools.

Thank you in advance,

Kim

7 REPLIES 7
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @kas 

Not 100% sure here since I can't see what's going on specifically but what I am gathering is that if you have for example 2 separate 3 page pdf's you would see the 1st one complete fine but then the 2nd one starts not on a new page but instead where the last one left off? If there is a chance you could send a screenshot that would be helpful. 

My initial guess is that if the documents are splitting the correct way you need to look at 2 things What you have in "Field To Group On:" and make sure that is the correct field to be splitting each report by and then also look at the "Separator" 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
kas
8 - Asteroid

Hello @joshuaburkhow 

Yes, you got the concept perfectly. I'm grouping on the servicing agent and the separator used is "insert section breaks between records" (it's shown in the attachment of my original post)

below is a screen shot of where the last page of one pdf ends (red line) and the next one starts in on that same page.

Thanks for looking!

Kim

kas_0-1597496264940.png

kas
8 - Asteroid

OK, update

I have been able to improve the breaks between records (within the individual record the 2nd and 3rd pages aren't perfect, but) by adding in another grouping point in the layout in order to differentiate between records, but now I'm getting more than one email per agent. I've tried using the unique tool by agent/policy number then joining back to the layout, but that still gives me more than one email per agent.

kas_0-1597505696589.png

kas_1-1597505798557.png

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Kim

kas
8 - Asteroid

Last update - was able to solve the multiple emails by using the sample tool.

Case closed.

Thank you.

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

BOOM! Nice job rockstar! 

So in summary you did these two things? 

1. Adding in another grouping point in the layout in order to differentiate between records

2. Adding a sample tool to pick only the first record (which in turn becomes the one report)

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
kas
8 - Asteroid

@joshuaburkhow 

LOL, thanks 🙂

Yes, that is exactly the final fix...appreciate your checking in.

Thanks!

Kim

ismailalemdar
5 - Atom

Do you send them per each recipient or have you found a way to send those automatically. I have the same process but sending 100 emails is a little bit overwhelming:)

Labels