community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

gallery data source shows unknown file type

Highlighted
Asteroid

When choosing a saved data source from an input data tool, then choosing our local alteryx gallery then one of the data sources available. I'm presented with the following error message. There weren't any changes to the server when I started getting this error. Has anyone else run into this error? Anyone figure a way to fix it?

2017-07-24 12_42_30-Alteryx Designer x64 - New Workflow1_.png

Quasar
Quasar

Does it work as expected if you click Cancel?

I get this message when connecting the .txt files. If I change the path, Alteryx seems to want me to reconfigure the connection, but clicking Cancel effectively tells Alteryx: "Leave the connection configuration along, just change the path."

Asteroid

No, it will give me back an unable to translate alias error. These are all database connections so the issue doesn't seem to actually be related to a file type.

Hi @harend,

What version of Alteryx server are you on?

Jess Silveri
Premium Support Advisor | Alteryx
Asteroid

Here is the versioning info from the Server page

• Client: 11.0.29874
  • Server: 11.3.2.29874
  • Server Binaries: 11.3.2.29874
  • Service Layer
    • Master: 11.3.2.29874

Hi @harend,

If your designer desktop is a version other than 11.3 (looks like you may be on an earlier version from your post) can you try installing 11.3 and trying to connect to the gallery?  

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
Asteroid

I'm not sure why it lists the client version as being 11.0. Installed on my workstation is 11.3.2

Hi @harend

I've done a bit of research and issue looks to come about when the data connection is not configured properly.  I ran a test below creating a connection with invalid information and could replicate the issue you are seeing.

2017-07-26_14-39-45.png

2017-07-26_14-40-27.png

I would recommend checking your connection. With Oracle or SQL you should get an error message when you click 'test' but this functionality is not available yet for all databases.  You can create the string in alteryx to ensure that the connection succeeds then copy it and use the same string on gallery (that way you can test it in alteryx and see if you get any errors)

Jess Silveri

@Joe_Mako kindly reported that I included a bad link.  I've removed the link, and will follow up to see if I can get the link active again.

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
Asteroid

So the weird part is that I'll setup the connection through the gallery for sql server, it will work for some period of time (we've never been able to get it to reliably produce the bug) and then it will cease working.

Labels