Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

fuzzy match inefficiency

jeffv
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

Dumb question that has been bugging me for a while (when I use fuzzy match tool).  When I have a set (set a) and want to match it to another set (set b)... why does fuzzy match tool need set a and b combined and then match both set a and b to the combined set?  Seems really inefficient...  I'm matching a set of 100 to a set of 30,000 and I see fuzzy match work and it generates an internal table of about 4.5 million rows to figure the matches.

I suspect it's so that the tool can be used for multiple purposes but seem inefficient for what I need it for.

Am I doing it wrong?  Not from what I read.

Jeff

2 REPLIES 2
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

HI @jeffv - Since you did not provide any data or workflow samples, nobody will be able to answer your question. A general rule of thumb is that you match everything that can be matched without Fuzzy matching and only then do something fuzzy. People often abuse this tool and expect it will replace a common sense. It can't. 

You may either provide more info on your question or watch the following training to learn more about Fuzzy Matching: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Videos/Fuzzy-Matching-for-Beginners/td-p/330575 

jeffv
8 - Asteroid

@ArtApa thanks for response.

I don't think data is necessary since question is academic.  If you have set 1 that you want to match to set 2 fuzzy match requires one to join the two sets into one with different record ids.  Then it takes the set and processes it as one set matching each row to the entire data set.  It just seems entirely inefficient.

While you suggest I need to attach a workflow, I can post a photo of workflow.

2021-02-26_7-42-31.png

BTW, I've watched the video but it does not explain why fuzzy match works this way... just that it does.

Thanks,

Jeff

Labels