community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
New Data Science Blog

Check out the latest post: All Models Are Wrong

READ MORE

ftp from mainframe without use of batch

Asteroid

using windows to a mainframe, it's a simple ftp:

ftp bob

username

passwd

ascii

get `mainframefile` daily.txt

but i can't figure out, without the use of a batch file, to set the type=ascii, in the download tool.  ideas please?

thanks

becki kain

Asteroid

someone here knew what it was.  stuff a formula tool infront of the download but after the input tool and do this:

"ftp://syc3.dearborn.ford.com/'FDSA%2ePRD%2eSARS%2eFEED%2eFILE';type=a"

where the %2e are . in the file name.  give that a column name and tell download to use that column name for the connection.  

Atom

I am am also trying to use the download tool to FTP file down from mainframe. However, type=a directive seems to be ignored. File gets FTPed down encoded in EBCIDIC, with all line feeds stripped out. I can then read the file back in using an Input Data tool with Code Page set to "IBM EBCIDIC - U.S./Canada". That solves the encoding problem ( content is *kind of* readable) , however, everything is on one line.

This is what I have in the URL field. 

ftp://mycompany.ftpsite.com/'PRACTICE.T.SOMEFILE';type=a

My raw mainframe file looks like this : 

row 1: my test file
row 2: my test file
row 3: my test file

It gets FTPed down looking like this : 

™–¦@ñz@”¨@£…¢£@†‰“…™–¦@òz@”¨@£…¢£@†‰“…™–¦@óz@”¨@£…¢£@†‰“…

When I read it in using code page of "IBM EBCIDIC - U.S./Canada" it looks like this : 

row 1: my test filerow 2: my test filerow 3: my test file

Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

Appreciate the help!

Hi Becki,

Glad to know that you are from Ford too. I've been facing this issue of connecting to Mainframes through Alteryx

Thanks for you post . I tried it However it says "remote file not found" , While the file is actually present in Mainframe.

Hence could you share/attach the Workflow which you used to connect Mainframe Fac and able to download the file..

Kindly remove your RACF ID and Passwords in the download tool before you share them.

Asteroid

send email to bkain1@ford.com. you may not have access to that file.

Atom

Becki - how did you get around the issue of missing carriage return ( described in my prior note )? Thanks!

Highlighted
Asteroid

Please PM me.

Labels