Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

filtering rows for invisible special character 0x0b

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

We are trying to identify when end users are pasting text into a field in SharePoint that is messing up our XML pulls. 

I can see that the characters look like this in one of my text editors <0x0b> but it essentially appears as a blank or box in SharePoint. 

is there a way to filter for any rows where this character appears in the field?  I have tried this

REGEX_CountMatches([Risk Category Description],'[\{0x0b}]')

and it is not working to isolate that row--- it is ONLY one where that value exists. 

7 REPLIES 7
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @aehrenwo 

Try this

REGEX_CountMatches([Risk Category Description],".*0x0b.*")

Hope this helps : )

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @aehrenwo 

Can you provide some sample input and expected output it will help us get a better understanding.

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

Yeah that REGEX didn't return any matches --- this is the field/row that has the character. 

Tester 8/6/2021 8:22 AM | test2 |

A conflict of interest create a risk that a decision may be unduly influenced by other /for personal benefit but negatively impact the company&#39;s reputation &amp; business performance.

The character is right before "A conflict".  

I want to count if that character appears at least once in the field. 

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

This REGEX appears to partially work --- it finds some false positives as far as I can tell for some other rows but for the row in question the match count is much higher. Not sure why that is happening. As far as I can tell this character is ONLY in the field for one of the rows. 

REGEX_CountMatches([Risk Category Description], '[\0xb]') 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @aehrenwo 

You can try this 

replace([Field1],CharFromInt(11),"")

CharFromInt() returns the character represented by the integer argument.  11 is the base 10 equivalent of x0B.  This should remove all the offending characters from your string.

Dan

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

Ok got it.... this worked:

REGEX_CountMatches([Risk Category Description],'\x{00b}')

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @aehrenwo 

Thats good to hear🙂. You can definitely give @danilang suggestion a try.

Cheers and have a nice day!

Labels