Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

exporting workflows as macros to import to new workflow

SteveKnapper
8 - Asteroid

Hello, I have a project which contains six very large workflows which I have all of these published seperately to our gallery.

I want to schedule them but want to run in order.

I am thinking about importing them into one workflow to run in sequence and write audit records to a SQL table at the start and end of each workflow.

Is there a way to export each workflow to a macro and then add these as seperate objects rather than copying and pasting the workflows into tool containers?

any suggestions would be appreciated

Steve

2 REPLIES 2
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi Steve

There are a few ways you could do this.  

1. Schedule that apps in sequence on your server

Leave enough time between them to ensure that they can complete in the worse case.  

Create a logging app that you can schedule before the start of each of your main apps

Benefits-

you don't have to modify your existing workflows in any way

if one of your workflows errors out, it won't affect the scheduling of the others

Drawbacks

messy

tricky to maintain

2. Save each one as an Analytic App and chain together

Go to the workflow tab in the configuration and specify the Type as Analytic App. 

Then in the interface designer, in the On Success - Run Another Analytic App box specify the name to the next app to run.

Repeat for all 6 workflows.

Benefits

Workflows will sequentially run as a unit

Drawbacks

Either change the existing workflows to put in the logging functionality or build other apps to run between these to log execution data

if one errors out the entire chain will stop

3. Save each one as a standard macro. 

You'll need to add a macro input and output to each one so that you can chain them

Create a wrapper workflow that implements the logging functionality 

Chain the macros together with logging steps in between them

Benefits

Runs as a unit

Drawbacks 

if one errors out the entire workflow will stop

Dan

SteveKnapper
8 - Asteroid

Many thanks for the advise Dan.

I will look into making macros

regards