Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

error: record too big - but it is not, Alteryx reports a bug

mikael_svalgaard
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

yesterday I started seeing a strange problem: a few of my xydb files (about 2.7GB each) would take a long time loading and then produce an error like the one shown below:

mikael_svalgaard_0-1625734270344.png

The actual files are nowhere near the size Alteryx thinks they are. The files are on a network drive. I tried shutting down, restarting PC - same problem. I tried generating the file again and then the problem went away. However, today the problem has reappeared. Any ideas??

thanks, Mikael

5 REPLIES 5
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @mikael_svalgaard 

That is very odd. I'd look to try moving it to your local machine if you can to run some tests and see if it replicates it there. I am wondering if its a network glitch that's not being handled/reported correctly as the error.

Second to that, then I'd recommend opening a ticket with support@alteryx.com to investigate as I imagine it's going to be specific to the data and rather hard to replicate elsewhere. Unless you know the steps to replicate it?

mikael_svalgaard
7 - Meteor

Thanks for fast response Joe! Yes, I was thinking of going to local drive instead of network to see whether that makes a difference. Will try and report back here.   -Mikael

mikael_svalgaard
7 - Meteor

OK, this morning the file is again not readable. This time Alteryx reports a different problem:

mikael_svalgaard_0-1625816246558.png

I have tried copying the file to my C drive and loading into Alteryx from there. It still fails. Hence, it does not look like a network problem? I have been working with this file and the workflows around it for many months without any problems. I cannot see that anything should have changed to produce these problems. I wonder what to do?!    -Mikael

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Is the file being written to across the network? Could you try creating it locally as well?

Second, I'd be look for any really odd characters in the data that may be occuring now?

Lastly, how many records are in the file, could you chunk them to see if it's down to a specific set of records?

I appreciate none of the above is giving you a resolution, but they'd be the steps I'd follow to try and isolate the problem.

mikael_svalgaard
7 - Meteor

Hi again, the error has not appeared in the past days - hard to troubleshoot. I am making two versions of the files that were affected, one on our network and another on my local drive. If the problem reappears I'll find out if there's any difference.  -Mikael

Labels