Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

dynamically naming files

laneytrax
6 - Meteoroid

I have a workflow that runs once a month and uses the month/year to dynamically name the exported excel file. The exported file contains data for multiple offices. I have a request to add to this file an individual sheet for each office. I would like to do this all in one workflow instead of having to run 2 workflows or use an excel macro to cutup the data.

I have no problem dynamically naming the file using the month/year but I'm unsure how to use this master sheet and create separate tabs for each office. I don't see an option to create a file based on 2 dynamic fields. I've tried to use a block until done to save the file then access it again but I am getting errors.

Any help is appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
drew9
9 - Comet

Hi @laneytrax ,

I think what you're looking for is a batch macro. In the workflow you already have, output to the master sheet as normal. Then feed in the data that makes up the file to the batch macro input, and a unique list of the offices as the control parameter. The macro will dynamically create sheets based on the Office name.

I've attached the example here. Let me know if you have questions!

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @laneytrax if you use a formula tool you can use the Month/Year field or Fields to create the file name and then use the Office data to spilt the data into different sheets. This will then create the file plus also spilt your data into different sheet i've attached an example.

Dynamic_Files_13102021.JPG

laneytrax
6 - Meteoroid

@drew9  - Unfortunately I apparently have an outdated version of Alteryx and am unable to open your solution. Thanks anyway!

laneytrax
6 - Meteoroid

@JosephSerpis 

Thanks! this is really helpful

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @laneytrax , cc. @drew9 

Right-click on the saved file, Open with NotePad, edit the version to yours, save, close, reopen the file without error.

HomesickSurfer_0-1635268653825.png

Labels