Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

dynamic rename dropping metadata

reni_ke
5 - Atom

Dear All,

lately I have an issue with the Dynamic rename tool, which is randomly dropping metadata. Namely when I set dynamic input and run it, everything is fine, until I put a new tool on the canvas or just click somewhere.

As soon as either of them happens, chances are, that the metadata information is lost and in the tool settings I get the old names displayed again. I have to run the WF anew, so I can set the next tool.

I could not find out, what causes the issue. Certainly, I can use the cache and run workflow option, but it would be nice if I could fix this generally for all my workflows without a workaround.

I use Version: 2020.4.5.12471 (this is the latest published within my company, and I am stick to it, I'm afraid).

Thank you.

Renata

5 REPLIES 5
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @reni_ke ,

I am unable to replicate this, it works fine for me.

Obviously, the first stop will be to upgrade Alteryx to the latest version.

Second, can you make sure the following is UN-checked:

mceleavey_0-1667907543111.png

This is found in Options->User Settings->Edit User Settings->Advanced.

If this is checked you will need to run the workflow to get the new data. Un-checking it will it to auto update.

If this is already unchecked, then upgrading Alteryx is the answer.

M.

Bulien

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

I'm on version 2021.4.2.  This week I had an issue with metadata not being passed to a Select tool, then another example of metadata not being passed to a Text to Columns tool.  I submitted a new support ticket.  No feedback yet from Alteryx support.

One workaround I found was to add an extra Select tool in front of the tool not receiving metadata.  This seemed to pass metadata through to both tools.

Chris

DataNath
17 - Castor

Have also noticed this a few times. For example if taking column names from the first row, downstream I'll then get warnings stating that tools don't recognise fields I'm referencing as the metadata has reverted back to F1, F2, F3 etc. A second run normally seems to do the trick but definitely not ideal. Running 2021.4.1 with auto configure unticked.

reni_ke
5 - Atom

Hey,

I was not too optimistic and surmised, that this is something which might not be there in the newer versions and therefore the solution would be to upgrade to the latest.

This is however not an option for me right now, so I try to solve it with the cash-and-run workaround.

Anyway, thanks for checking this and the good hint with the user settings (the box was unchecked in my settings).

Renata

reni_ke
5 - Atom

I am not familiar with support tickets: is it just visible to you or anyone can follow and check the status? I'd be interested in the feedback as well.

As for the suggested workaround: even if I put a Select tool after the Dyn. Rename, this is already not receiving/ dropping the metadata.

Thank you.

Renata

Labels