Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

drawing a line on a map that wraps from one edge to the opposite edge

Matthew
11 - Bolide

i built a workflow that will draw a flight path between two airports, its working well, but if the flight path goes off the edge of the map, then alteryx draws a horizontal line across the entire planet, and continues the rest of the curve on the other side of the map.

is there any way i can remove that horizontal line connecting the two halves of the curve?

NothingButThyme_0-1629982364691.png

NothingButThyme_0-1629982693461.png

4 REPLIES 4
Matthew
11 - Bolide

Got it.. I needed to split the line into two lines where the longitude flips from positive to negative. This has a side effect of reducing the flight distance by the length between two points on the line, but I can go back and grab that flight distance before i split the line in two.

NothingButThyme_0-1629984202174.png

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Matthew 

I don't think there's a built-in feature to do that.  You'll probably have to split your poly-line in two, with one part for the eastern segment and the other for the western segment.   Basically split where your longitude changes sign.

Edit:  What you said with the split triggered on the lng instead of  lat.  You can fly from Australia to Chile without crossing the equator.

Dan

Matthew
11 - Bolide

yeah i just figured that out, thank you for confirming. it had a side effect of ruining my distance calculation because a segment of the line is missing between two points (where i split the line into two lines), but i can calculate the distance separately

also, can you tell me how to mention people in comments? i can never get that feature to work

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@Matthew 

The @mentions are unlocked when you're a meteoroid.  The level after yours, probably just a few posts away.  See more details about ranks here

Dan   

Labels