Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

drag data source from another sheet

terrellchong
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I got a set of values that I want to put in from sheet hp to sheet hfm, is it possible for me to do that?

terrellchong_0-1593763633356.png

7 REPLIES 7
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @terrellchong, you can copy the result of one workflow and input it into the second.

1) Insert a browsing tool at the end of your workflow.Click on the button marked with red then copy all the records with header.

grazitti_sapna_0-1593764890422.png

2) Insert a Text Input tool then paste all the records into it, by clicking the button circled with red.

grazitti_sapna_1-1593764986305.png

In this way you can use the output of sheet hp as input of sheet hfm.

Other way is using an output tool and save the file as csv then put that file into the other workflow in case your data is dynamic and you are not willing to update your input file over and over again in hfm workflow sheet.

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
BYJE
7 - Meteor

I do not believe you can transfer individual records by drag and drop-like actions the way you seem to be contemplating doing.

However it is not hard to transfer records between workflows. One way to solve your issue is to output the set of values of interest using an output tool and then use an input tool to import them into the other workflow. You will then need to join/union/append the records as appropriate in order to add them into the other workflow's data stream.

BYJE
7 - Meteor

I didn't know about that option @grazitti_sapna!

Will this transfer approach conserve the original meta-data encoding in the other workflow, or will he run into the usual potential problems with the text input tool (where integers are loaded as strings or bytes, etc.)? 

terrellchong
8 - Asteroid

Oh, I was hoping that this can be done so that I can one go automate most of the stuff. If this is the case then I'll have to move them both in one workflow.

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @BYJE , when you enter data using Text Input tool it auto detect the datatype. Please refer to the screenshot.

grazitti_sapna_0-1593766698510.png

Sapna Gupta
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@terrellchong, in case you are moving both the workflows as a single workflow then do not forget to use block until done tool on workflow no 2, where you will be using the the output file as the input file of worflow no 2 else you might face issues while running the workflows.

@terrellchong wrote:

Oh, I was hoping that this can be done so that I can one go automate most of the stuff. If this is the case then I'll have to move them both in one workflow.

Sapna Gupta
BYJE
7 - Meteor

@grazitti_sapna  I'm well aware that the tool does this under normal circumstances, that was why I asked; I was curious if it also behaved like that in this case. The point being that this behaviour by Alteryx can potentially cause problems if not addressed because the auto-detected data types may not match the data types the user had defined for his variables in the other flow prior to transfer, meaning variables don't behave the way he expected them to (joins not working, formulas not working as intended, etc.).

Labels