Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

download tool causing truncation

kempo1981
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am using the download tool to connect to our HR system and return details of the 'chain of command', however it seems the field that is returned is truncated meaning I am unable to return any data after 255 characters. I set the field as VW_STRING, but am not sure what else I need to do?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
kat
12 - Quasar

Hi @kempo1981

The data is probably not really truncated. It's just that Alteryx doesn't show all your data if you don't place a browse tool. This is to improve performance.

Try placing a browse tool and viewing the data in it. Does this resolve the issue?

kempo1981
7 - Meteor

Hi Kat,

Thank you for your reply, I will try that.

My concern though is the browse tool will allow me to view the full data, but I want to extract information from it and I cannot due to the truncation.

Mark

kempo1981
7 - Meteor

I added a 'text to columns' which seems to have worked :)

kat
12 - Quasar

@kempo1981

Your data is always there - it's just truncated in the view. So any tools that you place, like the text to columns, will work on all the data.

Labels