Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

display a calculation result directly on the canvas

aoxomoxoa
7 - Meteor

is there a way/tool to display the result(s) of a calculation, directly on the canvas ?

I have several points midway through the workflow at which I calculate a simple ratio

and would essentially like a "box" to sit right there and display the ratio when the workflow finishes

I would not normally ask this, but this particular workflow contains workflow variables and has to be run several times to achieve the proper ratio - changing the workflow variable each time

I am aware that I can look at the results in other ways (clicking an output, inserting a Browse etc)

I am also aware there are probably more advanced ways to model these sorts of things, just looking for a basic approach for now

thx

jb

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Display results on canvas.png

@aoxomoxoa,

That was a fun question to solve for.  You do need to REFRESH at the end of the run, but here is how you can achieve your goal:

1. plan for <path>\output.htm file that contains your desired results.
  2. configure an Explorer tool to read that file.
  3. setup data in your workflow to put it to a TABLE tool (as pretty as you want)
  4. RENDER the table to your htm file.

When you run, the data will be written to a file that will display as above.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
aoxomoxoa
7 - Meteor

hi this solution is pretty interesting, thanks - it taught me a few new things

the additional tools to generate HTM are OK and work easily, no problem there

however, in terms of the request

the need to refresh the Explorer window every time - is pretty much a deal killer

and since I will wind up with multiple Explorer windows for multiple scenarios, this compounds the problem

I am looking for the values to be displayed directly on the canvas - without additional clicks/refresh at runtime - although extra tools and output files etc are fine at time of design

I am unable to provide the file as it contains proprietary information

open to other approaches .. may be a macro thing, not sure and not that advanced yet, I admit

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

You can run all of the data into a single render/html.  If you want to see the output and don't want to hit anything, you could write the data to the console and see it as messages at the end of the job.  I thought that this was a winning solution ;(

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
aoxomoxoa
7 - Meteor

brilliant! - I used a Block Until Done, then a Message configured as a warning .. and a concatenated string with a constant, several ratios and a string result

I can now see the calculations as results realtime when the workflow completes .. rinse, repeat etc...

thanks very much 

Labels