Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Andy Uttley, Alteryx ACE, makes music with Alteryx | Math + Music

designer responding slow

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

In one of my workflow, I currently have about 110 tools used, 3 or 4 macros, and 10-20 interface tools. And I have been seeing continuous slowness of the designer. What I mean is when I try to edit some of the tools, like click it to update the settings, or move the tools a little bit, it just responds very very slow. The cursor keeps on turning for a while before I can continue. It's very annoying since I have not finished this workflow yet.

I tried to work in a blank canvas, which responds ideally. So I am not sure if there's some performance limit for the designer, or maybe related to the computer hardware. Or not sure if there's any settings that I should pay attention to?

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

I've found that using macros saved on a shared drive has given me the poor performance that you describe. Could that be it?

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Yeah, the macros are all saved in the shared drive. So what would be the suggestion here? Saving to local drive means I need to re-configure the macros.

Highlighted

Hey @SciencePeak.

I'm going on the assumption that this is the cause.

To be honest, I didn't find a very satisfying solution to this. For me the slowdown was not tolerable (waiting 2 or 3 seconds every time you move a tool was pretty infuriating) so I did exactly as you suggest - I moved the macros locally and reconnected. The biggest issue with this is that if somebody changes the macro on the shared drive, your macro is now out of date. But this was preferable to experience otherwise. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi @PhilipMannering I tried to move all the macros to C drive and reconfigured in the workflow. But what a disappointment is that I experience no improvement. I got even worse case than yours. It takes about 20-30secs to switch between tools.

So now I have just moved the macros back to the shared drive and I just tried the tips provided in this post.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tips-amp-Tricks-2016-Workflow-Optim... 

Mainly I tried to set the limit for undo times(decrease), and memory limit for sort/join (increase), memory limit per anchor (decrease), and so on. And actually so far so good, it is much more smooth now.

Labels