Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

data mapping with selection of string interface

derZabel
7 - Meteor

Hi,

is there a way to choose a category (second table) e.g. via list box/drop down for each of the fields of the first table (Service A, B, C) and append the selection.

I would need the manual selection i.e. a mapping table and join does not help.

table 1                                                            table 2

1.JPG                   2.JPG

Something like a list of the services coming to the interface and the user can choose one of the categories.

It would be ok that the app circles for each of the fields to be categorized. 

I did some testing but cannot even come close  :-(

Thank you in advance for any input.

9 REPLIES 9
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @derZabel 

I don't know it this is what you are looking for (transform first into an app). If not, could you please explain in with a desired output example?

Cheers

derZabel
7 - Meteor

Thanks @afv2688 ,

The output in your example is in line with what I am looking for, but is there a way to choose the "category" by manually selection for each service e.g. via drop down?

So question in the interface should be e.g.

"Please select category for [service]"

and then the user can choose one of the options of table 2.

1. Domestic
  2. EU
  3. Non-EU

it should then run through all lines until all services have a category.

The background is that e.g. "service A" might have another category each month. I cannot avoid the manual category setting, but I would love to do this task in Alteryx still the rest of this workflow is already in there. it will be about 50 selections each month.

3.JPG

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @derZabel ,

Updated! Tell me if thats what you were looking for

Cheers

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

And in case you prefer it with a dropdown

derZabel
7 - Meteor

@afv2688 

that is pretty close. Thank you so much.

But would it be possible that the alternatives (below in yellow) are updated dynamically from table 1.

The classification (Domestic, EU, Non-EU) will be the same every month, but actually the name of the service is different from time to time.

I am totally lost with the interface tools.

4.JPG

derZabel
7 - Meteor

@afv2688 

hi again,

the drop-down is really nice, but the below would be perfect, if possible.

5.JPG

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @derZabel ,

I performed it dynamically as you asked. The first file, dynamic selection_0 is an APP which will create with your table 1 the inputs for the interface. They will be saved on a file which I did name TEST FILE in my case. Be sure that on the interface designer (Control + Alt + D) you select the 'on success run another analytic app' (as seen on the image) and select the other app which i have uploaded.

Untitled.png

The second app will pick the names and values from the first output generated and use them on the interface.

This is what I was able to do. Hope it helps.

Cheers

derZabel
7 - Meteor

@afv2688 

Amazing! Thank you so much. I was searching for a solution for several months. I probably should have asked earlier. I will look at it more detailed tomorrow to understand it and give feedback.

There is still something wrong. When changing the name of the service, the export file has no values, but I think I can find the issue. Maybe a formatting issue somewhere.

Great work!

derZabel
7 - Meteor

@afv2688 Hi, sorry, it took some time to test and investigate, but finally, I found the answer in the thread below and conclude that Alteryx is not the right tool for just this task - which is fine.

Anyway, thank you once again for the help and efforts.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Dropdown-List-in-Excel-Output-from-Alt...

"It is not possible to use alteryx to output a drop down list in Excel. 

Alteryx is a data preperation and analysis tool. I'm not sure why you would want to use Alteryx to create your drop down lists, surely it's simple to do in excel itself?"

Labels