Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

data manipulation

d1miller99
7 - Meteor

I have a table, for example the personnel table, that would have the following column: empno

There would be another table, salesinvoice,  that would have the following columns:

I would then have a salesinvoice table that has the following columns: current_emp, alternate_emp

I need to match both the current_emp, alternate_emp from salesinvoice  to the empno from personnel. A table join would not work because it only goes row by row and if current_emp, alternate_emp has separate values, then i would not get a match. 

Is there a way to do a join that would not go row by row so that I do not have to do two separate joins to match each field?

6 REPLIES 6
PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @d1miller99 

One option is to use a join tool, and then use a union tool to stack all records (all 3 anchors) from the output of a join tool.

Another option is to use a union tool to stack all the records vertically on top of each other, then try to remove duplicate values.

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @d1miller99 

Can you please share the desired output.

Many thanks

Shanker V

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@d1miller99 One way of doing this is by Transpose the second table and joining empno and value

binuacs_0-1671556630071.png

d1miller99
7 - Meteor

thanks for the replies :) 

@ShankerV  What I am trying to have the 7 records in salesinvoice where the fields(current_emp and alternate_emp)  exist in the personnel table. As you see the issue is the alternate_emp and the current_emp will not be the same in many cases for the different rows in salesinvoice

@binuacs  the transpose was actually creating more records. In reality, I need the dataset from the salesinvoice dataset to stay intact, i am just making sure that there is a match on the current_emp and alternate_emp

@PanPP I did think of a table join, but it did not work because it was trying to join two fields on a row by row basis and in many cases, current_emp and alternate_emp were not the same and thus there would not match with the employee. I guess it joins the first field in join configuration first? 

Basically the end result is that i checked that current_emp and alternate_emp existed in the personnel table. I was hoping that one tool could accomplish this and that i had somehow missed something. Unfortunately, it looks like  i will need to have two personnel inputs with two separate joins to match both fields in the salesinvoice

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @d1miller99 

Please share the desired output as it will be easy to understand.

Thanks in advance. It will be easy.

d1miller99
7 - Meteor

I found a way, and i do not know why i did not think of this.  so i still have to do two joins but i can do the two joins out of one input 

d1miller99_0-1671558877900.png

Labels