Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

custom filter alteryx multiple text criteria

CR2019
5 - Atom

I'm trying to use this 

[CLIENT_NAME] IN ("xxx","yyy", "zzz") to filter the clients which contain those words but when i look at my results, i see very few results (which are on the False output) - not sure why

6 REPLIES 6
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
My guess is case sensitivity.

Lowercase([CLIENT NAME]) in ("aaa", "bbb")

Where all listed names are in lowercase.

Cheers,

Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @CR2019 you could try this syntax Contains([CLIENT_NAME], "zzz") or Contains([CLIENT_NAME] , "yyy") or Contains([CLIENT_NAME] ,"xxx")

CR2019
5 - Atom

Hi, Many thanks

The words i want to pull are mixed, some are in capital letters, some small letters... e.g. NHS, hospital, Trust... how can i include this?

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Simply type the list in lowercase.

An alternative is to use FIND REPLACE and append the matching term. Follow this with a filter. It is an easier and faster approach than contains. It is flexible and not case sensitive.

Cheers,

Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @CR2019 

The IN command doesn't look for the items in brackets in the field, it returns those cases where the value in the field completely matches one of the items being searched for.  For instance 

[Field 1] IN ("hospital","teaching") will not match "this is a teaching hospital", but it will match both "hospital" and "teaching" on their own

Field 1Match
This is a teaching hospitalFalse
teachingTrue
hospitalTrue
teaching hospitalFalse

Both the Find Replace strategy from @MarqueeCrew and the Contains concept from @JosephSerpis look within the field to match specific strings and should work for your situation.

Dan 

CR2019
5 - Atom

ah, thank you! very clear now. i used the contains option 🙂

Labels