Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

crosstab producing only one record

brwright
8 - Asteroid

I've filled a csv with data and crosstab is only giving me back one record. 

I dont understand what is breaking it. Maybe I need an ID to group by?

Here are screenshots; dirst of the csv content sample and secondly of the crosstab output.

brwright_0-1655922892056.png

brwright_1-1655923154031.png

10 REPLIES 10
suby
11 - Bolide

Hi ,

Try adding a RecordID tool after the crosstab.

Thanks

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @brwright,

Could you give some example data? All I think needs done is add a ID for each row so the first 4 rows are ID 1 then the next 4 are ID 2 ect....

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @brwright!

I took another look at your pictures. Since the id numbers are in the same column, we can to use the Multi-Row Formula tool to create a grouping field before the Cross-Tab Tool.

Capture.PNG

Hope this helps! 

Thanks,
Deb

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@brwright 
I hope @ddiesel will mind I borrowed her data. 😁
I usually find the Tile tool is also handy for grouping records, for instance like this.

0623-brwright.PNG0623-brwright-1.PNG

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@Qiu borrow anytime you like! I love when we can build upon each other's solutions!

I'm also a fan of the Tile tool. @brwright - I think you could go either way here.

Let us know if this helps.

brwright
8 - Asteroid

Thanks all! I'm trying your suggestions!

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@ddiesel 
Nice!

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @brwright, The reason why your output contains only one record is the configuration of the cross tab tool. You have selected First as a method of aggregation so it will return only the first record. 

grazitti_sapna_0-1655952681719.png

Similarly, if you will choose to concatenate as a method of aggregation it will concatenate all the records into something as below

as there is no key provided.

grazitti_sapna_1-1655952885417.png

So in order to overcome this issue, you can a tile tool with a combination of other tools to maintain the column sorting as it is so that you do not have to manually sort the column using the select tool in case of large workflows making it dynamic. ( the method of aggregation will remain to concatenate but will have a group data key).

grazitti_sapna_2-1655953828595.png

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
brwright
8 - Asteroid

@ddiesel This worked with the least effort! I added the multi row formula and this gave the Cross Tab something to group by. Thank you all for your responses!  🎸

Labels