Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

could not be fully converted from wstring to a string

Petersenk
7 - Meteor

I am receiving the message above when I try to write my output to a .csv file.  I have some fields that are longer that are not giving me an error when they are loaded into the file so I am not sure what the issue is here.  

Here is what I have tried -

I used a select statement and tried to increase the length of the fields.

I used autofield to set the length of the fields

I cleansed the field and removed extra white space, carriage returns, etc. to no avail.

Anyone else run into this issue?

8 REPLIES 8
Jim7
8 - Asteroid

I sometimes get this error when one of my records has an em dash or en dash, rather than a hyphen. You might try searching your text to ensure you don't include any special characters like this. 

Petersenk
7 - Meteor

Thank You - I did find special characters at the end of the comment, but, now I need to figure out how to remove them.  I will query the community and post the solution if I find it. 

Jim7
8 - Asteroid

Are you getting a warning or an actual error? In the case of special characters like em and en dashes, Alteryx will throw a warning but will automatically convert to a hyphen for you. For anything Alteryx doesn't catch, you can always use REPLACECHAR in a formula before exporting to the .csv file.

Petersenk
7 - Meteor

I attached a screen shot to the original post, but, I can't tell what the funky characters are in order to remove them.  

String Coversion Error.PNG

I tried the data cleansing tool to remove spaces (that is why there are no spaces in the text above).  Tried to remove punctuation, but that did not work.  I am not sure how to get rid of the warning.  I will see if I can work with the regex or formula tool tomorrow to see if I can clean the comments up.

Stuart_Nulty
6 - Meteoroid

Spot on, thank you

Still_Learning_GA
6 - Meteoroid

Another option for resolving this issue is check the Code Page on the configuration section of the Output Data tool. In my case, the default Code Page was set to ISO 8859-1 Latin I. When I changed it to Unicode UTF-8, the errors were resolved.

Alteryx Code Page Setting.jpg

jason_scarlett
10 - Fireball

thanks!

ps. the first highlighted image is highlighting the wrong row 🙂

calan
6 - Meteoroid

Resolved it for me as well. Thank you.

Labels