Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

convert date to number

JonathanRichey
7 - Meteor

What would be the best way to convert a date to a number? My end goal is to use the date and another field as a unique identifier. For example in the excel workbook provided the unique id is concatenated from the Report Date and EENum. What is the best way to create a unique id with a date and a number?

2 REPLIES 2
Claje
14 - Magnetar

It depends on if you want the number to be discernible as a Date.

A really quick example might be something like :

DATETIMEFORMAT([datefield],'%Y%m%d')+TOSTRING([numberIDField])

If you want to use the Excel numbering format, you would want to do something like:

TOSTRING(DATETIMEDIFF([datefield],'1900-01-01','days'))+TOSTRING([numberIDField])

Make sure to replace [datefield] with your date field, and [numberIDField] with your other field

phoenix64
5 - Atom

Hi Claje,

I am using the second out of the two formats you shared:

TOSTRING([numberIDField]) + TOSTRING(DATETIMEDIFF([datefield],'1900-01-01','days'))

but I am seeing different date then what we normally get in excel.

Example - 

NumberField - 8    and DateField - 2010-04-04 

Excel Syntax = NumberField & DateField

>> Excel Output - 840272

Alteryx Syntax = TOSTRING([NumberField]) + TOSTRING(DATETIMEDIFF([DateField],'1900-01-01','days')) 

>> Alteryx Output - 840270

What could be the reason?

Thanks!

Labels