Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

connecting to data source by using file DSN with in-db dynamic input

albert_alaluf
9 - Comet

Hell o all,

I like to use File DSN to connect my data source. I created a file dsn, tested with in-database, published to my gallery and tested and it is working well.

My real application is to do this with dynamic input. So, I created txt file which includes my file DSN location which I have same DSN on my local and also in network folder, I tested, both works on my computer. When I tried to publish to my private gallery by pointing either or local folder, I'm getting an error as;

Error finding connection "file:\\<the location>" (Tool Id: 31) ----I removed the location name.

When I use connect-in, during the publish I attach as workflow asset. But when I use dynamic input, it is not showing up as an asset to attach which is expected.

user or system DSN works without any issue, but I should make it work this with file DSN. Any suggestions?

Albert

6 REPLIES 6
PeterA1
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @albert_alaluf I just created a workflow and tested this and it works. I would create an indbc file connection and then store this on a network drive where the server can also reach. Make sure it is a fully qualified UNC path so the server can find it. I put the full UNC path of my indbc file in a text input, I also put the query in another field. Then I feed this into the dynamic input indb and it appeared to work. 

The key here is that the dynamic input indb can find the indbc file.

PeterA1_0-1626704865509.png

Best,

Peter

albert_alaluf
9 - Comet

Hi @PeterA1. I'm curious whether you published this to your private gallery (company Alteryx server? I don't have an issue when I use my computer, and I have similar approach as you did. My issue is when I published to the gallery, Alteryx can't find the path. Actually this is not true, Alteryx server can connect to the folder/path/file.

PeterA1
Alteryx
Alteryx

HI @albert_alaluf  This worked when I saved to a private gallery. 

Assuming the .indbc file is located on a folder you and the server machine have in common, one thing you can do to ensure you are using a full UNC path (aka not a F:\ or D:\ letter type drive name) is to connect to the file using a connect indb tool, go to Options-->Advanced Options-->Workflow Dependencies and change inputs to full UNC path.

Then you can copy that location and use it in your text input or whatever is feeding the dynamic input indb.

Does that make sense? So the connect INDB tool is really just a means to an end to ensure we have the full file path. 

albert_alaluf
9 - Comet

Hi @PeterA1 I was looking that. First I like to say that I created .indbc file in my local and also in shared drive. For connection, I tried both of them. Either with my local c:\ and full UNC path (shared folder \\full UNC format) it worked. However, when I published, it didn't. Another thing is this is not a workflow. This is a batch macro which I used in Analytical App, connections remains same. When I look workflow dependencies, I do not see it. There is definitely something I miss.

This is the macro.

albert_alaluf_0-1626706251898.png

This is the app part.

albert_alaluf_1-1626706391201.png

.indbc doesn't exist on both.

albert_alaluf
9 - Comet

Our further investigation we found that the network folder which .indbc is located, was not accessible by Alteryx server. We created a network shared folder which is accessible by me and the Alteryx server, we made it work.

Thanks

jreineck01
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you @PeterA1. You helped me solve an issue I just couldn't see through the trees. 

Labels