Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

conditional sending emails

Kate13122
7 - Meteor

Hello all,

May I kindly ask you to help me? 

I have a case where I need to send emails to different persons. I have the excel file where the sheets are split according to name, for example, I have sheets with the names Alan Bush and Laura Smith and I want to do a conditional sending so if the particular sheet contains this name, send the whole sheet to this person. I want to avoid sending emails to all people who are in the excel file. I need to split the sheets somehow and send them to persons accordingly.  

I really apraciate your help. 

If you would need more details, please let me know. 

Thank you very much 

4 REPLIES 4
DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Kate13122 

An interesting challenge!

An initial question; Do the sheets need to be all in one Excel File, i.e could you not output each sheet to it's own file, then fire off emails per file to the right receipient?

Adrian_T
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @Kate13122,

Here's one way of achieving this. I used the Input Data Tool to retrieve the list of sheet names before using the Dynamic Input Tool to read into all of these sheets, appending the sheet names in a separate field.

You could have a mapping table of name to email address so that you can lookup the email addresses of each name. What's left is to create separate tables using the Table Tool, grouped by email address, before configuring the Email Tool to use the [Email] field as the "To:" value.

Sample workflow is attached, hope this helps! 🙂

Adrian_T_0-1655976999472.png

Email Tool configuration:

Adrian_T_1-1655977108780.png

Kate13122
7 - Meteor

Thank you very much for your solution. It works :) 

I would like to kindly ask you if you could advise how to send this sheet in excel as an attachment? 

Once again thank you

K. 

Adrian_T
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Kate13122,

You would be looking at the Block Until Done Tool to output the respective excel reports first before attaching them to each email.

I used the formula tool to create an [Attachment Name] field. In the email tool, set the Attachments as "File name from field value" = [Attachment Name].

I have attached the sample workflow below - let me know if this is what you're looking for. 😎

Adrian_T_1-1655994211931.png

Emails with the corresponding attachments - of course, I am using my own email for all 4 names here.

Adrian_T_0-1655993948647.png

Labels