Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

concatenate options (orientation) within summarize tool

sammyb84
8 - Asteroid

Hi I'm needing to group a column based on group by from another column.  I have a list of stores that need to be grouped by their products they have.

I am trying to send each of these stores their current list of products in an email.  I'm aware of using the Report text tool to help with these and change dynamically the list of products.  

However I need to change the orientation of the product list so it looks cleaner.  I do not want to create a new row for each product because that would defeat the purpose of summarizing.  

Need to know if something can be done within Summarize tool, Formula Tool or Report Text tool.  

Instead of :

Store 1  |   Apples, Pears, Potatoes, Rice, Celery.

Store 2  |   Chicken, Rice, Potatoes

I would like

Store 1 | Apples

Pears

Potatoes

Rice

Celery

Store 2 | Chicken

Rice

Potatoes

Thanks for your help

3 REPLIES 3
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @sammyb84 

Not sure how the original data looks, but here's an example:

1. Group by store, concatenate using the \n delimiter to create the newlines
  2. Prepend the store to the concatenated field

Luke_C_0-1664469760834.png

sammyb84
8 - Asteroid

Thanks a ton @Luke_C !  Really didn't need the extra stuff after the summarize tool.  

Wasn't aware of '\n' .  Is this a parsing language imbedded in the summarize tool?  I figured it could only be actual separators so this is awesome.

Really appreciate you!  

Thanks 

Sam

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @sammyb84 

\n is a white space character. It's supported in several tools like the summarize tool, text to columns tool, etc. Here's a few others from the documentation:https://help.alteryx.com/20221/designer/text-columns-tool

Luke_C_0-1664471180352.png

Labels