Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

compare multiple entries in mutliple rows

Bennet
7 - Meteor

Hello,

new day new problems at least as long as I am still at the beginning of using alteryx.

I developed a workflow which results to something like this:

ABCDE
19ha5fjj25
18fg5fjj26
18fg5fjj26
18225fjj27

Now row 3 and 4 are identical. What I am looking for is now a way to delete a row if it contains the same information (in all fields and only then) as the row before. the last line is similar to the once before but not in all columns - so the last one shouldn't be deleted.

Is there a way to do this? Database contains more then 500.000 rows so I hope my short example can already show what I am fighting with.

Br Bennet

4 REPLIES 4
NickC
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello Bennet,

Try using the Unique tool and selecting all of the column headers. This will leave you with 2 outputs,

U = All the unique records so in your example 

ABCDE
19ha5fjj25
18fg5fjj26
18225fjj27

D = The duplicate rows

ABCDE
18fg5fjj26

If you want to only remove a the record if it is identical to the row above then you will need to use the multi-row formula tool followed by filter.

Please see example workflow.

Bennet
7 - Meteor

Hi  NickC,

I do get an error message because your version seems to be newer then mine. Checking for update leads to "up to date". So I am not able to open your workflow.

For the unique tool I will need have to define a unique field won't I? Will that not eliminate all other rows that are still unique in the some other columns? Or do I just have to mark all as unique field?

I hope you can provide the workflow in an "older" version.  Mine is 11.0.6.28907

Br Bennet

mborriero
11 - Bolide

Hi Bennet, unfortunately I was not able to open NickC workflow either, but what he is saying is correct solution.

As you said "if it contains the same information (in all fields and only then) as the row before" I would use the MULTI-ROW formula approach.

I have create the workflow for you, you should be able to open it with your version.

Bennet
7 - Meteor

Hello mborriero,

that awesome. Both solution would work for me. the solution with the multi-row tool is quite cool I wasn't expecting that it could be that easy.

Thank you both for your support.

Br Bennet

Labels