Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

compare columns

rquint72
7 - Meteor

hi my name is Rinaldo and im trying to compare these columns with right side but they are using symbols into the columns, what will be the data type i must use to create a formula is compering these column when it is check = YES and blank or N/A = NO.. .. i need some help on thi

rquint72_0-1660142675151.png

20 REPLIES 20
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @rquint72 Can you share the data please? A bit tough to re-type it into an example.

To check for empty cells you could use an 'isempty()' function. Are you trying to compare all 3 columns?

rquint72
7 - Meteor

no .. just compare each one with the right side .. for example R&D credit comparing right R&D credit column .. i mean i have created two columns left and right using join tool in alteryx to make a comparison. 

IF [R&D Credit] =  [Right_R&D Credit] THEN  "YES"  ELSE "NO" ENDIF.. but since each column has a symbol like check  and N/A and empty space.. this formula is not working like this.. 
rquint72
7 - Meteor

luke .. yes. i was wrong . .i need to compare all 3 columns 

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @rquint72 Please share the data in a usable format. Would be tough to recreate otherwise. 

rquint72
7 - Meteor

rquint72_0-1660151143786.png

Luke, this the data that im using to compare the R&D Credit, R&D Super-Deduction, and Patent or Innovation Box columns (in orange) against slide 9 of the R&D Brochure slide deck

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @rquint72 You'd have to export the workflow as a yxzp for the data to be included (options>Export Workflow), or convert to text inputs to share on the community. Be sure none of this information is confidential - sample data would suffice to show you some options. 

rquint72
7 - Meteor

rquint72_0-1660152200074.png

this is the example i have of the data

Luke_C
17 - Castor

I'm confused then. Where are the checkmarks & N/As? Here's an example that shows a few ways to compare columns. Hopefully this gets you on the right track. Otherwise please provide a representative dataset (not a screenshot). 

Luke_C_0-1660152588147.png

rquint72
7 - Meteor

rquint72_0-1660152995894.png

luke .. these above are 3 column i have to compare. but each column has symbol of check , N/A and empty spaces... so i need to do this comparation using the info data above .. if check symbol is YES and empty and N/A is NO.. this is the formula i need to create ..

Labels