This site uses different types of cookies, including analytics and functional cookies (its own and from other sites). To change your cookie settings or find out more, click here. If you continue browsing our website, you accept these cookies.
@Thableaus presented you with a great solution, as always
Now, I realize that you specifically said that "I dont want to find/replace the ü with ue ....", but is this because you want to use the German spelling in the rest of the workflow and replacing the characters would lose that? If that's the case, consider this work flow.
The characters to be converted are stored in the Lookup Characters list along with their equivalent "International" replacements. The bottom half of the workflow builds an international equivalent of the accented name and adds it as a new field. The last join uses this "international" to match with the international list. From this point one, both the accented and international names are available for each record. You can drop the international name completely from this point on
Note that the 2 "...Value" fields are data I added into the input tables to show how their now both available on the records.
The beauty of this technique is that you can expand the look-up list as needed, i.e. é=e, ç=c as required without having to manually change a Switch or IF in a formula tool