Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

check numeric column if complete

SonjaLeuthner
6 - Meteoroid

Hi guys!

I'm looking for the best practise to check if a numeric column is complete or something is missing.

May someone help me?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @SonjaLeuthner ,

What do you mean by complete?

If you are talking about null you can with a summarize tool count the nulls in the column.

If the numbers need to be in a specific range then something more elaborate would be needed.

Regards

SonjaLeuthner
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I need to check if the numbers are really in a row, like: 1,2,3,4,...

And if one number is missing I have to create an output for the user to add it.

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @SonjaLeuthner,

I believe this may be what you're looking for?

I've created two workflows, the first checks to see whether the numbers start from 1 and are complete. The second doesn't take into account the starting number but checks the sequence is complete. If anything falls out of the false side of the filter these are values that do not follow the sequence.

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards.

Jonathan 

SonjaLeuthner
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Jonathan,

Your second option is perfect!. The ID-number was missing in my solution. So it didn't work. But now it does.

Thanks a lot!

ThomasT
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Jonathan-Sherman 

thanks for the solution. I just came across this post and it works well for my issue as well. 

I want to ask if you can explain how the expression works. It makes sense to me to check if "the previous Number + 1" is equal to "the current Number OR the RecordID". I don't quite get the meaning of "= 1" at the end of the expression which then results in "-1" as a result after processing. 

Is =1 just a "IS TRUE" statement? That still wouldn't explain why the result is "-1" 

Labels