Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

cannot pass data field to Subject element of Email tool

SteveKnapper
8 - Asteroid

Hello, I am trying to change an existing email object to have a dynamic subject email from the data passed, rather than being hard-coded as it was previously.

I have ticked the Use Field on the Subject element but it says [No Valid Fields]

I am populating a table object and passing this to the email object, I have created a subject field but cannot populate the subject.

The workflow runs fine with the email items hard-coded.

any help would be much appreciated

Steve

2 REPLIES 2
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@SteveKnapper The email tool will not allow for reporting elements in the to, from, subject etc.... fields. I think just the attachments and body allow for reporting elements. You can click on the line going into the email tool and verify if the source column starts with Report. If you have a table tool feeding directly into the email tool, it will be a single reporting element and thus have nothing for you to select in the subject field. Depending on your data, you may be able to group by the field you would like to have as the subject in the table tool. Alternatively, if you only have 1 subject, you may also be able to join by record position the subject field to your table data before inputting into the email tool.

SteveKnapper
8 - Asteroid

Hi Patrick, many thanks for the quick response.

spot on it was the table tool restricting the options to choose subject fields etc.

I am now re-writing it setting the Subject and Body elements in a formula first and passing them to the email object

thanks for guiding me in the right direction.

regards

steve

Labels