Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

cReW macro install keeps failing

anthony123
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I have a very frustrating problem that I haven't been able to figure out in a week. I read the discussions, but I am still not able to run workflows that employ cReW macros, even after I installed and uninstalled. I currently have the zipped folder contents extracted to:

C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\DataProducts\AddOnData\Macros. However, even after clicking install, the workflow does not recognize the macro.

anthony123_0-1581357372209.png

Do I need to extract this to a shared network folder, where my colleagues and I access this workflow? If so, where exactly?

Please help with this very frustrating issue.

Thanks,

John

12 REPLIES 12
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@anthony123 ,

I've sent you a private message with a link to a zoom meeting.  I'll review your installation with you shortly if you can join me.

C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\DataProducts\AddOnData\Macros\CReW.ini

Please open with notepad and let me know where the path=

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Hi @MarqueeCrew@anthony123 ,

I've also noticed this - it doesn't happen every time, but there does see to be an issue where you have to reinstall the macros for Alteryx to recognise it.

Let me know if you both come to a resolution?

Regards,

Tom

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

He didn't show up for the ZOOM.  Can you join a zoom and replicate this for me?

TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Hi @MarqueeCrew,

I'd be happy to, it's just that I cannot replicate the issue. It seems intermittent - sometimes no issue - one day you open up Alteryx and the CREW macros are failing. Simple enough to fix - run the installer again and open up Alteryx again ... but just a little temperamental. 

I just tried to make this happen but trust it not to do it when you want it to! 🙂 Is there something I can send you (error log, log etc.) when it happens again?

Regards,

Tom

anthony123
8 - Asteroid

Hi @MarqueeCrew  I was able to resolve it by going to User Settings > Macros and adding the path of where the Macro is installed in our shared folder. I will let you know if this resolves the issue with another workflow stored on my drive that requires me to constantly run the install.

TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Hi @MarqueeCrew , @anthony123 ,

@MarqueeCrew was kind enough to spend some time over the phone with me to talk a little through the macros. For anyone reading this, make sure you fully uninstall the macros and don't install from the zipped file itself. Even though it "works", that seems to cause the files to be put in a temp file rather than in the correct location permanently.

@anthony123 , I'd be curious if your solution works on a permanent basis - please let us know. On shared drives it may be possible that your organisation moves/quarantines files - so shout if you've still got issues. I've seen something like that in the past where we had to put the files on the C: drive at a particular company.

Regards,

Tom

anthony123
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

The problem is occurring again for a different workflow. Now it looks like it's pointing to a temp folder:

anthony123_0-1581488307830.png

Dumb questions but what is the proper way to uninstall the macros? It seems like I have it in several locations (temp folder, Downloads, Documents) that is causing a bunch of confusion. I want to start all over again. If someone can we send me detailed instructions on how to properly do this, that would be greatly appreciated:)

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html?m=1

Follow the install instructions:

1. Download 

2. Extract to a permanent directory. Do not run install from the zip. That causes the temp directory install. 
3. use the uninstall option to uninstall or install. 

cheers,

mark

prashant_bhavsar
6 - Meteoroid

Hello Mark:

I have tried all ways to use CReW macro but its failing on my side. I have inherited a workflow that uses CReW macro through email, interestingly it works when I directly opens it from email and when I download it on my local machine it won't. Did several tries uninstalling and installing.

Unzipped it to AppData/Roaming/Alteryx/CReW Marcos

and when I installed it, macro get copied under C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\DataProducts\AddOnData\Macros and *.ini file is pointing to above location.

Please suggest as I have to repurpose existing workflow.

Thank you

Prashant

Labels