Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

block until Done Tool

anupgupta12
8 - Asteroid

Hi There!

I need help with Block until Done Tool. In below example  if the column data1 has value  "2001" then write output to a different file or if Data1 has value "2001" and 2002 or 2003 then write output to different file. how it can be done with block until done tool?

Example:-

Data1

5 REPLIES 5
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @anupgupta12 

Is there a reason you want to use the block until done tool? You should be able to leverage the output tool settings to dynamically create the files based on a field. See attached example of this that dynamically creates the file name and outputs the data to separate excel files.

Luke_C_0-1623161613383.png

Luke_C_2-1623161687619.png

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I agree with @Luke_C ,

The Block Until Done does not do that, it simply pauses the workflow at that point and continues once all processing prior to that tool have completed.

@Luke_C 's solution is what you need.

M

Bulien

anupgupta12
8 - Asteroid

Hi - Yes, because each month data will be changed, may be next month I only have "2001" or next to next month I can have "2001" and "2002" or "2003". So basically what i want is to write to output files, if value is 2001 then data should should not flow to 2nd output tool.

How can i do that?

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@anupgupta12 The solution I posted dynamically creates the files based on the attributes present. If there's only 2001 only one file is created with 2001 records. If there's 2001, 2002, and 2003 then 3 files are created containing the appropriate data. Let me know if you have any question. 

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @anupgupta12 

I don't think "Block until done" can help achieve what you are looking for. can you post an example input and output to illustrate the problem statement? 

dawn.

Labels