Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

batch files with umlaut not working when run from Alteryx

mikael_svalgaard
7 - Meteor

Hi guys, I get an error:

Error: Run Command (10): The external program "C:\Users\MSV\AppData\Local\Temp\Engine_12600_3a77e2602592bb4bbc3c0121f4937ee4_\run.bat" returned an error code: 1

when running the workflow below:

mikael_svalgaard_2-1672222761540.png

I am running a batch file where I try to rename to a directory that contains an umlaut accented character - in this case 'test_ö'. Using the string directly in the cmd prompt works fine - why not from Alteryx? This problem only occurs when umlaut is present in the batch string. I am running version 22.1.1.    cheers, Mikael

6 REPLIES 6
KSowers
Alteryx
Alteryx

Can you share the view of your configuration of the run command tool?

mikael_svalgaard
7 - Meteor

Sure! Here it is:

mikael_svalgaard_0-1672236637568.png

MatthewO
Alteryx
Alteryx

@mikael_svalgaard I believe the issue may be related to the Code Page, as this can cause characters to render incorrectly. Depending on your locale, Windows will use a default code page when running CMD. For "Western European Latin" this is 1252. Adding a command to the start of your bat file, "CHCP 1252", will change the code page. Using the attached workflow, I was able to run a successful test.

KSowers
Alteryx
Alteryx

Have you tried editing the working directory? I may be wrong but I believe the working directory will be that of the workflow. In this case, it appears to be inside of the temp folder that is created for the processing of the workflow: C:\Users\MSV\AppData\Local\Temp\Engine_12600_3a77e2602592bb4bbc3c0121f4937ee4_\run.bat.

Where is the run.bat file located that you are trying to run?

KSowers
Alteryx
Alteryx

If you hard code in a file location for the .bat, do you still get an error?

KSowers_0-1672237769827.png

mikael_svalgaard
7 - Meteor

Yes, this works on my machine as well - thank you very much!!   -Mikael

Labels