Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

adding a month header for only the numeric fields

rahulshetty925
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I was wondering if adding a month header for only the numeric fields is possible in Alteryx.

My data is currently in this shape:

Category Sub CategoryMonthSalesProfitDiscount

ABCEDec123
 FDec233
 Dec243
DEFHDec353
 Dec253
 Dec463

And the output format required is :

Dec

Category Sub Category Sales Profit Discount

Thanks,

Rahul

5 REPLIES 5
cking6178
8 - Asteroid

have you tried the Transpose tool? Seems like you could use that and group by have your key fields be Category, Sub Cat, & Month. If that doesn't get you quite what you want, you can pair it with the Cross Tab tool.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @rahulshetty925 

There's no way to add a header group in Alteryx, i.e. Add a month header that spans the numeric fields, without losing the column headers.  It is possible to import the data and specify that the 1st row doesn't contain field names, in which case you end up with a series of columns called field1, field2, etc.  From there you can add a new row and specify null values and the month info. 

If you want maintain the field names to process them further, you'll have to do something like this to convert the data 

WF.png

Resulting in the following output(note: that I added some Jan data to your inputs, to show that this method scales over multiple months) 

Results.png

Dan

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I agree 100% with Dan. The only other way is to display the month with the reporting tools, like this:

month header.png

rahulshetty925
8 - Asteroid

Hi @danilang,

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

Rahul

rahulshetty925
8 - Asteroid

Hi @DavidP ,

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,