Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

YouTube data

calloni
9 - Comet

Hello community

Does anyone have a workflow to connect to YouTube metrics data that could share?

Also if you went through the Google API hassle for generating credentials, could you share also some step-by-step procedure for that?

Thanks in advance

Rodrigo

14 REPLIES 14
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@calloni you can find the YouTube API documentation here: https://developers.google.com/youtube/v3/getting-started

I believe that it uses the same Oauth flow that other Google tools use so you may be able to copy the Oauth macro that exists within the Google Analytics tool. This will return an authorization token which you pass into a subsequent download tool to pull the YouTube data from an endpoint. 

Oauth.png

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx
calloni
9 - Comet

Hi @BrandonB 

Thanks for the reply. I wonder how can I "open" the Google Analytics tool to get the Macro out of it? I see you have it as a yxmc file in the image you shared.

Thanks in advance

Rodrigo

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

You can drop a Google Analytics tool onto the canvas, right click it, and "Open Macro". This will show you the underlying tools that make up the connector. 

google analytics.png

calloni
9 - Comet

Hey @BrandonB 

Just to give an update. The credentials stuff worked like a charm and after I went through the Google API hassle to get Client ID, Secret and Refresh Token (this is tricker) I got the flow working.

I also got some API URL syntaxes from the YouTube API page and I got some data into Alteryx now.

I will leave this tread open because I am going to work on this workflow so I can share it to community at the end.

Thanks a lot!!!

Rodrigo

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Great work @calloni!

calloni
9 - Comet

Finally I was able to finish the Youtube connector so I am sharing with the community (and maybe Alteryx?)

@BrandonB how can I make this available for more people?

Any suggestions or ideas to improve, please let me know 🙂

Rodrigo

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Nice work! Rather than zipping it up in a zip file, you may want to save the main workflow as a packaged workflow by going to Options -> Export workflow from the main workflow. That way you can package all of the dependencies up into a yxzp so that when someone else opens it up it will maintain all of the macro references. Otherwise it will look like this:

references.png

calloni
9 - Comet

OMG that's really bad. Of course Alteryx had a solution for that lol. I am impressed the amount of times I think "oh how can I do that" and then boom answer is already in product.

Does this look better now?

Rodrigo

Labels