Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

XML input issue

zanjam
7 - Meteor

I've never really had to deal with XML but I understand Alteryx supports XML files. Currently I'm trying to get all the fields from the attached dummy xml into Alteryx but am only getting 34 fields. I've tried playing around with the input options for xml but to no avail.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
WilliamR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello,

can you please attach your workflow as the xml you provide seems to be uncorret for example a tag is not ended in: <Year><January 2019</Year>.

zanjam
7 - Meteor

Hey William, I've attached the workflow that shows my xml as an input. I've also updated the XML file to include two employees and attached two XML files - one that removes the top two lines and the other that keeps all

Just for some background, the XML file has been generated from a system and my goal is get all the data from both employees populating in Alteryx so I can proceed with some data wrangling. 

If the issue is with the XML schema, please let me know as I'm not too familiar with XML

Many thanks!

WilliamR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello,

here is a sample workflow to read your XML (with bad tags inside), I mean tags without correct end.

The way you can work wit XML and Alteryx is to parse Tag at the root, it gives you the values at the level-1 and if you have values at other level, you have to explicitely parse the node adding a XML parser tool.

Hope this help.

If it is the case, please mark the solution as accepted.

Thanks.

zanjam
7 - Meteor

Thank you!! That's exactly what I was after

GouthamShetty
7 - Meteor

Hi William, 

Is there a way to manage this when using download too? - In browser, I see the error as 

"This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below."

and in the Alteryx output, I see below error.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title>Request Error</title>
<style>BODY { color: #000000; background-color: white; font-family: Verdana; margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; } #content { margin-left: 30px; font-size: .70em; padding-bottom: 2em; } A:link { color: #336699; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline; } A:visited { color: #6699cc; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline; } A:active { color: #336699; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline; } .heading1 { background-color: #003366; border-bottom: #336699 6px solid; color: #ffffff; font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 26px; font-weight: normal;margin: 0em 0em 10px -20px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 30px;padding-top: 16px;} pre { font-size:small; background-color: #e5e5cc; padding: 5px; font-family: Courier New; margin-top: 0px; border: 1px #f0f0e0 solid; white-space: pre-wrap; white-space: -pre-wrap; word-wrap: break-word; } table { border-collapse: collapse; border-spacing: 0px; font-family: Verdana;} table th { border-right: 2px white solid; border-bottom: 2px white solid; font-weight: bold; background-color: #cecf9c;} table td { border-right: 2px white solid; border-bottom: 2px white solid; background-color: #e5e5cc;}</style>
</head>
<body>
<div id="content">
<p class="heading1">Request Error</p>
<p>The server encountered an error processing the request. See server logs for more details.</p>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Souhaiel
5 - Atom

can i add an xml file into the xml view section and from it automatically a workflow is generated

Labels