Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

XML Parsing - Matching Child to Parent

wottel
8 - Asteroid

I've read a few articles on XML Parsing but I've not been able to solve my problem. I have XML files that contains Service Address info(PracticeLocations > ProviderPracticeLocation > PracticeLocationGeneralInformation) of which there can be multiple listings

ServAddr.JPG

Also under PracticeLocations, there's the ProviderAssociate tag, which contains the Billing Contact info needed.

(PracticeLocations > ProviderPracticeLocation > ProviderAssociate > PracticeAssociate > Associate)

Billing.JPG

The goal is to display each of the Billing Contacts (there can be multiple) info with the associated Serv Location.

In the example XML I'm working with, I have 3 Service Locations and 4 Billing Contacts. My output is showing all 4 Billing contacts for all 3 Service Locations, which is not correct.

Below shows the XML with an example of the tag hierarchy

FullXMLpath.JPG

I can't quite figure out the correct combination of tools/configuration to get this to display correctly. Due to privacy, I can't display the actual data, just the XML structure. hopefully that's enough to get some help on this issue.

2 REPLIES 2
JoshKushner
12 - Quasar
You'll want to imput the file as XML only 'Return Root Element' and 'Return Outer XML' (no other options). The XML should all be in a single cell.

Read that XML with the XML parser. Parse the 'Specific Child Name' that you are looking for with 'Return Child Values' and 'Return Outer XML'.

You can further drill down into your XML by repeating that XML parse for other outer XML that comes out of it.
wottel
8 - Asteroid

Thanks JoshKushner. I didn't quite follow at first but I was finally able to take your instructions and get it to work. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Labels