Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

XML Parsing Auto Detect Child

JoshKushner
12 - Quasar

When using the 'Auto Detect Child' function in the XML Parsing Tool it doesn't get all children. Has anyone else seen this or resolved this issue?

As a workaround I've programmed my XML parsing to target specific tags that I know will be there and then return the child values (returning child values works 100% fine)

Thank you for your help!

Doesn't 100% Work:

Auto Detect Child.PNG

100% Works:

work.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
dataMack
12 - Quasar

In choosing Auto-Detect Child, Alteryx will try to pick the child element it thinks is relevant- it won't return all child elements.  When I have to do XML parsing (or HTML parsing using the XML parse tool), I'll usually have the XML document open on my other monitor in a tool like Sublime so I can easily browse through it and find the elements I want in the structure, then setup multiple, or a series of, XML parse tools in Alteryx, specifying the child element.  Make sure to check the 'Return Outer XML' if you want to to serial parsing and get to deeper child elements on subsequent XML parse tools. 

JoshKushner
12 - Quasar

Ah! Then the XML parser is doing exactly what it needs to. That makes sense.

Thank you!

Labels