Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

XLSB Macro to read data

ecotton
7 - Meteor

Hello!

I have a report where I need to pull in the most recent xlsb file from a folder and then read the data. I have done this many times with xlsx file but not for xlsb. This xlsb has multiple tabs to I need to be able to define which tab I use as well. Here is my start. Thanks in advance!

ecotton_0-1640116966864.png

6 REPLIES 6
BobR
8 - Asteroid

If you know which tab it is you could use the formula tool to add the sheet name. So something like

[FullPath] + '|||sheet_name'

This will change something like "c:\some\path\some_file.xlsb" to c:\some\path\some_file.xlsb|||sheet_name"

And then feed that into dynamic input.

If you don't know the sheet name you can use that technique to get the list of sheet names. Figure out which one you need. And then add that to the [FullPath] back to dynamic input.

Bob

ecotton
7 - Meteor

I know which tab I need to pull but the xlsb will constantly change. There is a new xlsb added each day and I need that new one. That is why I am pulling the most recent file.

BobR
8 - Asteroid

The solution above will work then. Just add "|||sheet_name" on the end.

Bob

JarekSkudrzyk
11 - Bolide

@ecotton I agree with @BobR - his solution should work. Do you encounter any errors? Could you provide sample workflow/screenshots?

regards

ecotton
7 - Meteor

Sorry, I have not worked with the dynamic input enough. Could you please tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks! ecotton_0-1640182828824.png

ecotton_1-1640182844471.png

BobR
8 - Asteroid

Select "Change Entire File Path"

BobR_0-1640223055655.png

Labels