Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

XLS - still cant see data unless file is open

Baz123
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Trying to solve this issue still where I have excel files in an *.xls format.

Using the workaround and appending the file path to:

C:\temp\Book1.xls|||'<SheetName>$' 

lets me select the sheet name to open.

However it wont load all the data in - only the first row - unless the file itself is open.

I have had the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 installed, and can now read the file directly using either xls or xlsx (legacy) - however it still wont load any data unless the file is open.

I have searched a lot on here with no luck currently. 

Can someone please help in how to solve this issue? I dont want to have to open every file when running workflows on a large scale.

4 REPLIES 4
flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @Baz123 

1- Add Browse tool after your input tool with running, see the output again.

2- Upload your xls file to here, maybe we can repeat the problem.

Baz123
8 - Asteroid

Hi @flying008,

The files come from Oracle Discoverer (old tool I know).

If I export the data from Discoverer it saves it in a local folder. If I try to bring in this file straight from the network location then it only brings in the first row.

If I open the file in question, and just save it as is, then attempt to bring it into Alteryx then it works fine???

I cant tell if something is happening to the file by simply opening it then saving and closing??

FWIW all other xls files work now. Its just these ones I try to workflow from the default directory that Discoverer saves to (C:\user\...) I have permissions on the directory as I can open and save from it.

Thanks

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @Baz123 

If that's the case, you could try script to save these xls files as xlsx files before importing , and that might solve your current problem.

Baz123
8 - Asteroid

Hi @flying008,

It appears the issue is when trying to open a file that discoverer has autosaved in the local network directory. If I export the data from discoverer, and hit save before closing (not simply just closing the file)  then Alteryx has no problems when opening it.

Not ideal, but its a workaround until I can hook it up to the data source directly.

Thanks

Labels