Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

XLS Timed out error

reyvr
5 - Atom

Hello,

I get this error when trying to connect to XLS file on our network drive:

reyvr_0-1612462686735.png

It is a read only file. 

If I open and convert the file to xlsx, I no longer get this problem.  Its a little cumbersome to do this as we have about 10 files that come in monthly via xls. Can anyone advise how I can work around this?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @reyvr, can you copy-paste the .xls file on your local machine and see if you still get the same error? 

reyvr
5 - Atom

Nope, get the same error when moved to the local drive.

The file does take awhile to open in xls format in excel. In xlsx its much faster.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@reyvr At the risk of possibly muddying the waters here, I'll just say that I've been having this same issue with 2020.4 but 2020.2 isn't having this issue. I have both installed on my machine currently. It's only some files, and like you say, saving them as a fresh xlsx does seem to resolve the issue. And I agree that it's really annoying.  

reyvr
5 - Atom

Thanks all.

An update, I tried breaking links in the excel file and saving a "copy of" to remove the read only property. It still lags out. Only solution it seems to save as xlsx. I guess need to do a script outside of Alteryx to preprocess all the xls files in the directory. Unless there is something else I'm missing?

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@reyvr, I haven't experienced this error before so don't have a direct solution for you. You could explore Alteryx's Virtual Solution center support if you are up for it, maybe they have some insight: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Virtual-Solution-Center/tkb-p/vsc

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@reyvr it's a long shot, but here's one possible "fix". 1 file that I know wasn't working last week now works, and 1 thing I've changed that could have fixed it was this. If you click the windows icon and then type environment variables, click on "edit environment variables for your account". Then look at the Temp and Tmp, and add a slash at the end (assuming they don't currently have one):

patrick_digan_1-1613049564359.png

There was an unrelated alteryx issue that popped up the other day, and this fix addressed it. I could be crazy, but I think this fixed the xls issue for me as well. You'll want to restart alteryx making this change, and maybe your machine if it doesn't work at first. Fingers crossed!

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Brilliant solution post if this works - very curious now.

reyvr
5 - Atom

Added the "\" to temp and tmp. Unfortunately it didn't work. Still get the timeout error.

reyvr_0-1613166302090.png

Thanks for the suggestion!

Labels