Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Writing to specific cell corrupts Excel

Sonja_Ansorge
5 - Atom

Hello,

I am trying to write data into a few selected cells into an existing excel. It works fine when I drop the whole workbook, but when I select drop sheet, my excel breaks. After letting it repair, some of the new data is there but all formulas are broken and other cells contents have been lost. 
Any idea what could be the cause, or what I can do ? I already checked these two posts (49262, 309470) but neither helped in my case. 

I attached a minimal workflow with excel to test. 

Thank you

Sonja

Capture3.PNG

Original ExcelOriginal Excel

After AlteryxAfter Alteryx

4 REPLIES 4
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Sonja_Ansorge I don't know why it's an issue, but when I went to the output tool and unchecked the box on skip field names, that seemed to fix the issue (once I updated the range in the text input tool as well). Any chance you can hide the header row in your excel? I've done that before successfully

Sonja_Ansorge
5 - Atom

Dear  thank you so much for the quick workaround. Since it was my first time writing to specific cells, I would never have thought that skipping the header would be a problem. I will try to report the original problem as a bug, though.

(As a side note I was trying to update a gantt chart in thinkcell with output from alteryx. Even though the excel is now visually fine and all the formulas work, the anchor points in think cell are gone. You win some, you lose some I guess... Will see what [R] does in this case )

jainna19121990
6 - Meteoroid

what if you cannot edit the header? As its a template and you cannot edit the other cells

jainna19121990
6 - Meteoroid

I want to add date to a specific cell which is a part of oracle journal template. Can we use skip field name and not corrupt excel?

Labels