Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Writing to existing Excel file with extra columns, corrupts file

Number4
8 - Asteroid

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I want to overwrite. This spreadsheet has two extra columns at the end with formulas in them.

I'm using:

File Format: Microsoft Excel (*.xlsx)

Output Options: Overwrite Sheet (Drop)

Append Field Map: By Field Name

When I do this, and try to open the Excel file, it tells me it's been corrupted.

If I have it write to a different tab without the extra two columns, it opens fine.

Is this normal behavior?

5 REPLIES 5
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

That's a bit strange.

Does the spreadsheet have other Sheets that you need?

If not, try Overwrite File option

Number4
8 - Asteroid

If I do the Overwrite File (Remove), won't that remove the two formula columns as well?  Because they aren't in the Alteryx output file.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Yes, sorry, I misunderstood. You need to define a range in the sheet and then write to the range.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Enter the column names in the Sheet exactly as the columns you're writing from Alteryx, then Select the columns and define them as a range.

Change your output option to Append existing sheet and instead of specifying the sheet name, specify the range name instead.

Number4
8 - Asteroid

Instead of Append, I chose the original Overwrite Sheet (Drop) and it worked having named the desired columns and instead of selecting a sheet (default Sheet1) I chose the named range as where to write to.

"Change your output option to Append existing sheet and instead of specifying the sheet name, specify the range name instead."

Thanks David!

Labels