Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Writing to a specific cell in Excel

MarshaThompson
6 - Meteoroid

Please help.

I'm outputting a list of information to excel.   I want to add a total to a couple of column in the Excel Spreadsheet. 

What I thought I would need to do is output the data and then add the Totals (or a formula) to the appropriate specific cell in the Excel spreadsheet 

I've researched referencing a specific cell but what I see isn't working for me.   

Example =   I have a field with the file name "C:\Users\name\Documents\test.xlsx|||Sheet 1"   and I "Change Entire File Path" with this field.    It writes this out correctly.

But when I add the cell ref to it like this "C:\Users\name\Documents\test.xlsx|||Sheet 1$B2:B3" like I see in all the examples.....I just get another tab in the spreadsheet name "Sheet 1$B2:B3" instead of B2:B3 being updated on Sheet 1.

What do I have wrong?

4 REPLIES 4
rarmstrong
8 - Asteroid

Use the formula tool to create a field with your filepath. The formula should be: "C:\Users\name\Documents\test.xlsx|||'Sheet1$B2:B3'"

In the output, select 'Take File/Table Name From Field' and select 'Change Entire File Path'. Select the new field you created with your filepath in the dropdown

FilePath.PNG

FilePath2.PNG

MarshaThompson
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks.....my whole problem was I was missing the last single quote.    I already had that configuration but that missing single quote kept causing my excel spreadsheet to corrupt.  I really examined your response and saw the missing quote.

Thanks

tk123
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to output to a specific cell, but the document keep throwing this exception:

1.png

If I click yes, the value is not output to the specified cell (A2 rather than A3):

2.png

Here is the actual workflow and specified properties:

3.png

Chawnan
6 - Meteoroid

I have same concern. Have you got a resolution?

Labels