Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Writing to Snowflake | Truncated string fields | String data truncated

JeremyGonzva
8 - Asteroid
Hey there,
I'm currently trying to write some data into Snowflake from Alteryx
I have both Strings and Double data
However when writing in-DB I have the following error message on the Data Stream-In Tool:
"DataWrap2ODBC::SendBatch: [Snowflake][Support] String data truncated while performing conversion.
I am writing to a table that I Overwrite at each run.

I tried to deselect all the string fields, and everything worked perfectly. Data is written into Snowflake as it should be.
I then Auto fielded the colums to reduce the size. I can now write a string field, size 10 into Snowflake.
However, the second shortest string field I have, size 20, seems to trigger the error.
In Snowflake, I can see that the table created has created this field as a VARCHAR(20) but the table is empty

Has anyone any ideas on how to workaround this?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
JeremyGonzva
8 - Asteroid

Increasing the size by 1 after the autofield worked.

Example: If autofield set the size to 20, I set it to 21 with a select tool just after

I still have no idea on why this error occured but I don't have it anymore and everything is fine on Snowflake

steven4320555
8 - Asteroid

I encountered the same error message when working with Hive database, however, changing string length did not help.

As @JeremyGonzva  Alteryx only through out the error when the string that to be streamed in to hive database exceeds certain threadhold (which is not too big, as theoretically, string in hive can be 2GB).   

So my question is: is this a bug of Alteryx?

steven4320555_0-1613602971925.png

steven4320555
8 - Asteroid

Good news, I have sorted it out. The solution is to go to Simba Driver setting-> advanced option: Increase the default string column length from 255 to a large number.

It is not an Alteryx problem, but a driver setting problem for my case.

steven4320555_0-1613740997862.png

Labels