Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Writing data into SQL Server using Write Data In-DB tool

akasubi
8 - Asteroid

I'm looking to write data into a new table in SQL Server. I notice there is a "Write Data In-DB" tool but I don't see where to actually specify the location of the server in this tool.

How does Alteryx know where to write the data into?

Please advise.

5 REPLIES 5
KoCo
7 - Meteor

Hi,

The way we use it is by setting up a data connection first : In alteryx : Options>Advanced Options>Manage Data Connections. Set an ODBC connection & test it, or if only for loading data in bulk, set up a bulk connection SQL to your database (Big time faster then the odbc one).

Then we use the regular output icon in alteryx, select the saved data connection / enter a table name, and that's it. After that play with settings and options (perhaps you need to set indexes etc which you can then handle in the post sql, or perhaps you need to rename the previous table before writting, then you handle it in the pre sql options...)

Takes some playing around with - but works.

Good Luck

KoCo
7 - Meteor

Additional Remark, when trying to do it In-DB (with the source also in SQL I presume) then you need to set up In-DB connections under your options>advanced options>manage in-db connections... Then take it from selecting those & setup.

akasubi
8 - Asteroid

Hi @KoCo , thanks for your reply!

After setting up an In-DB connection, how does Alteryx know which connection to use if you have multiple connections set up when using the 'Write Data In-DB' tool?

In the configuration, I can only see 'Output Mode' (e.g. create new table, append etc), and a box to select the table name. But nowhere to specify which connection you want to use.

april_kp
5 - Atom

There is a Data Strem In tool you could put in front of Write Data In-DB, in which you could specify Connection Name.

brijendraydv
5 - Atom

i dont think stream in we need to do as its not allowing to connect itself.this seems so simple but i cannot writeback.I need to read from one database and write back to other database on other server.How can we do this can someone please guide me??

Labels