Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Write to Excel File and then upload that file to an SFTP folder

stvnhdmpa
8 - Asteroid

I have a use case where I need to get data, transform it, write it to an excel template, and then upload that template to an SFTP folder.  My question is how can I ensure that the write stage is complete on the excel file before I do the SFTP upload through the "Download" tool?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
PeterA1
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @stvnhdmpa  you could use a Block Until Done Tool to achieve this orchestration. This tool mastery article also explains how you use this function. So you would have the output tool running off the "1" anchor and then the download tool off of the "2" for example. 

Let me know if this helps!

stvnhdmpa
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @PeterA1 .  What if there is an error in the first anchor.  I've used the block until done quite a bit and I've not been able to figure out how to get the second flow to stop if there is an error in the first.  any ideas?

PeterA1
Alteryx
Alteryx

@stvnhdmpa You absolutely can! If you click on the canvas and go to "Runtime" settings in the configuration panel, you can set the workflow to "cancel running workflow on error" (highlighted in screenshot):

PeterA1_0-1630602753046.png

stvnhdmpa
8 - Asteroid

@PeterA1 I have tried to use that before and it still wrote the file in the second anchor.  I'll give it another try.

PeterA1
Alteryx
Alteryx

@stvnhdmpa something else I thought of which might be good for this situation is using a batch macro as a blocking mechanism. It has been called the "ultimate block until done." So the idea is, your output would be contained within the batch macro, you could have an unrelated or even dummy output anchor which then flows into your download tool. Here is a post with an example workflow of this process. I can attest to this method myself. Nothing downstream will process until everything within the macro is finished. 

Labels