Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Write a specific value to a specific cell in a specific sheet in excel

AndrewPoole
7 - Meteor

Having an issue that I shouldn't be having but can't seem to get the output functioning correct.

I need to write a specific value to a specific cell in a specific sheet in a specific workbook.

Workbook: Workbook_Alpha

Sheet: RAW_DATA

Cell: Z2

Value: 1

Initially the worksheet would be populated for columsn A:G and then a conditional runner would create the value of '1' in Z2 which would be used as a trigger for a VBA code that runs on workbook opening.  The text is generated via a text input tool at the beginning of the conditional workflow.

This is probably simple but can't seem to get anything working.

Output Location Attempted:  C:\Users\***\Desktop\excel testing\Workbook_Alpha.xlsm|||'RAW_DATA$Z1:Z2'

12 REPLIES 12
DaveF
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Dynamomo

I attached a solution to this, but I warn you it's a bit hack-y. The trick I used was to create 3 named ranges in the Excel file: headerCell (G9), dataCell (G10), rangeCells (G9:G10). Then, I read in the headerCell and used Dynamic Rename to make it the field name. Then, I set the data to whatever I wanted, and output the dataset to rangeCells. This left G9 intact to whatever it was previously and updated only G10.

There's probably a cleaner solution out there, but hope this works for you.

Edit: Come to think of it, the dataCell named range isn't necessary

Dynamomo
11 - Bolide

Hi @DaveF,

While I appreciate the workaround, it doesn't work well because the fieldname does not remain intact but is written to the sheet as a text value.  so even if you read the row above into a named range and it is a number, it gets written back as text.

Are there any other options?

My client has many cells in a spreadsheet he wants to update this way.

Thanks

skysecond
5 - Atom

Make sure you checked "Skip Filed Names" on left configuration list.

Labels