Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Write a specific value to a specific cell in a specific sheet in excel

AndrewPoole
7 - Meteor

Having an issue that I shouldn't be having but can't seem to get the output functioning correct.

I need to write a specific value to a specific cell in a specific sheet in a specific workbook.

Workbook: Workbook_Alpha

Sheet: RAW_DATA

Cell: Z2

Value: 1

Initially the worksheet would be populated for columsn A:G and then a conditional runner would create the value of '1' in Z2 which would be used as a trigger for a VBA code that runs on workbook opening.  The text is generated via a text input tool at the beginning of the conditional workflow.

This is probably simple but can't seem to get anything working.

Output Location Attempted:  C:\Users\***\Desktop\excel testing\Workbook_Alpha.xlsm|||'RAW_DATA$Z1:Z2'

12 REPLIES 12
DaveF
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Dynamomo

I attached a solution to this, but I warn you it's a bit hack-y. The trick I used was to create 3 named ranges in the Excel file: headerCell (G9), dataCell (G10), rangeCells (G9:G10). Then, I read in the headerCell and used Dynamic Rename to make it the field name. Then, I set the data to whatever I wanted, and output the dataset to rangeCells. This left G9 intact to whatever it was previously and updated only G10.

There's probably a cleaner solution out there, but hope this works for you.

Edit: Come to think of it, the dataCell named range isn't necessary

Dynamomo
11 - Bolide

Hi @DaveF,

While I appreciate the workaround, it doesn't work well because the fieldname does not remain intact but is written to the sheet as a text value.  so even if you read the row above into a named range and it is a number, it gets written back as text.

Are there any other options?

My client has many cells in a spreadsheet he wants to update this way.

Thanks

skysecond
5 - Atom

Make sure you checked "Skip Filed Names" on left configuration list.

Labels