Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Write V_WSTRING Data in ORACLE DB

Virender
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I have a straight forward workflow in which, I am reading data from a table having UTF characters and writing back into the same table.

WCHAR column data is properly read using "Force SQL WCHAR Support" from a oracle DB table.
While writing the same v_wstring data in same oracle table, column value got truncated below.

Virender_0-1587914263650.png

Input:

Virender_0-1587921385261.png

Output:

Virender_0-1587913703875.png

I am not able to write V_WSTRING data in oracle db table. Whenever I am writing it, data got truncated and First character is getting loaded in the table.

9 REPLIES 9
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @Virender 

Are you able to upload the workflow and some sample data in the same format as the files you are using?

This will help to troubleshoot whats happening better.
Thanks!

Trevor

Community Moderator
Virender
7 - Meteor

Hello @TrevorS,

I have attached the sample workflow where, I am reading data from same table inserting into the same table.
I am getting below result. Also I have attached sample data.

Input data from same table:

Virender_0-1588288422998.png

Output data in same table or same schema table

Virender_1-1588288467219.png

Also here is the table schema.

Virender_2-1588288516727.png

this issue is occurring where I have UTF characters in the dataset.

Thanks for your Help!

dindrani
6 - Meteoroid

I am having the same issue.  When I use V_WString, I can see the non-English characters and Oracle has only the first character when I output this to an Oracle table.  However, when I change to V_String, I get ? in place of the foreign characters.  Please help.

Thank you

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @Virender,

I guess it makes sense, V_WString is basically "double-wide" but the connection to Oracle is unaware, then in Oracle instead of getting...

xyz

... it sees ...

x0y0z0

(every-other character is literally a hexadecimal zero and Oracle regards that hex zero as the end of the string, all you ever get is the first character. So the issue makes sense

All you can do is make use of the Select tool and convert the datatype to v_string, that will solve your issue.

I hope it helps.

Sapna Gupta
dindrani
6 - Meteoroid

I had tried that and unfortunately it does not.  It makes it worse.  It only takes the first character of the string and saves it in Oracle.  In this example, "T" my string starts with "This..." and ends with foreign characters.

Virender
7 - Meteor

Hi @grazitti_sapna 

Thanks for your response.

I have already tried to change the data type to v_string. But its not helping me. Conversion is discarding the special characters.

Best Regards,

Virender

Virender
7 - Meteor

Hi @dindrani 

I have one work around. Just change the data type to NVARCHAR2 in oracle DB.

Best Regards,

Virender

dindrani
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you very much.  Yes, that did the trick.

Appreciate your help.

shakir_juolay
8 - Asteroid

In addition to changing the data type to NVARCHAR2 in oracle DB, I also needed to change the data type to V_WString : Forced using the SELECT Tool, data type of V_WString did not work for me.

Labels