Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Write Output into Input file

LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

Is there a way I can write my output into the file I use as Input?

For example, I'm using an excel file as Input and would like to write my output into the same file in a different sheet, do I need to manually choose that file or is there a way I can just update my input file automatically? Will there be an error because I'm using it in the same workflow?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@LinhNguyen ,

You can use a BLOCK UNTIL DONE tool just before your output or just after the input.  Now everything is ready for a read and write.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

Hi Mark!

Thanks so much for the quick respond! That will solve my problem when I write the output. 

Is there any way to automatically write my output in whichever file i use as an input, without having to specify that file?

Thank you!

rafalolbert
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi LinhNguyen,

Building on MarqueeCrew's spot-on solution, a small addition from me to answer your latest question is in attached workflow file.

You can derive file name or the entire path by selecting 'Output File Name as Field' - options are: 'Full Path', 'File Name Only' or default: 'No'.

You can use Formula tool to manipulate the value to point to a new sheet, please notice the specific format for Excel output as: file name with extension followed by "|||" and sheet name like: "input.xlsx|||Sheet1"

Have fun and all the best!

Thanks,

Rafal

#Excuse me, do you speak Alteryx?

LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

That was awesome, Rafal!

What if I do not know the name of the input sheet? With this workflow I will need a fixed input sheet name ('sheet 1' for example) in order for the formula to work, but is there a way to write that output in the correct path without knowing the input sheet name?

Thank you!

rafalolbert
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi LinhNguyen,

Updated workflows are attached.

I've used Regex tool to dynamically get the input tab name: .+\|\|\|(.+) - this is extracting anything that follows 3x pipes (this is a reserved characted and thus needs to be escaped).

Following this a Formula tool is replacing the above value with new tab name.

All this should be achievable within a single Formula tool and one of the Regex function, but I always prefer to use dedicated tool as it's more explicit.  

Thanks,

Rafal

Labels